Thursday, March 13, 2008

UL RAG WEEK 08 - Future Kings of Spain

I infiltrated UL Rag week last night. No I don’t meet the requirement of being either a student or a UL student for that matter as I have graduated and become a real life boy now, but I still have the student mentality and would hope that lasts.

Anyways back to the reason of my UL adventure. The future kings of Spain were playing at stables and I must say put on a nice show. The stage was set up outside in the court yard and they played a rip roaring set to a couple of hundred students and one wannabe.
If you don’t know this band by now you don’t get out much to gigs , thess guys are one of Irelands really hard working bands and seem to have a never ending tour.

There music in my opinion is a mash up of smashing pumpkins/radiohead riffs with rage against the machine/ sometimes soft sung lyrics. They have two albums one self titled back in 2003 and a new album this year called Nervousystem. They are gearing up for a long summer of touring by the looks of it and are playing Oxegen and many more up and down the country. Last night made me realize the wealth of unsung Irish bands out there and these guys are worth taking another long look at. Check out the guy’s Bebo page here --> http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3804092630


The band consists of Dublin based Joey Wilson - Vocals & Guitar, Karl Hussey – Guitar, Anton Hegarty – Bass, Bryan McMahon – Drums (Suffering from a dislocated shoulder last night some man for one man). They play NUI Galway tonight and then Donegal on the 28th of March.
Infiltrating Rag weeks is fun I strongly advise it!


Future Kings of Spain - Hanging Around

No comments: